Before discussing the bearded dragon we will know about what is brumation. Sometimes Brumation can be weird and scary. Brumation is the state or condition of sluggishness, inactivity, and torpor exhibited by the reptiles such as snakes and lizards during the winter or extended periods of low temperature. This is known as brumation.
Why the Bearded Dragons are Brumating?
Once a year during the winter season food can be become scares for beardies in the wild life. There is limited access to water so the bearded dragons must find a way to make three to four months without eating.
When the winter comes the day should shorter. In the season temperature will drop along the shorter days of the winter season and less warmth comes less prey. This environment cycle of the season happens for the bearded dragon brumation. This is the monthly nature step for the assist.
What happens to the Bearded Dragon when they Brumate?
When the entry of the brumation the bearded dragons slowly refuse start to take the food and eventually stop eating entirely. Their metabolism activity level also becomes slow; this results in less energy which leads to less activity. They will also start to look for a place burrow in the ground and sleep.
They are typically digging a burrow in the ground, enter in to the burrow and close the opening with dirt. This makes them a safe place with no external heat and no light.
The heat is required for the digestion in the bearded dragons will typically evacuate the digestive system prior to hunkering in their burrow. At this point, the bearded dragons are semi-drowsy sleepy state.
Some of the bearded dragons fully asleep, but they are still aware of surrounding alerts from the predators. The bearded dragon brumation in summer or in winter, the brumation will happen in both seasons.
Will all the Bearded Dragon Brumate?
For the bearded dragon in captivity, some of the bearded dragon’s owners will report never they are entering into the brumation other reporters bearded dragons brumate once a year. If you are using the timers on your lights it leads to day varying in length.
Even without the reduced temperate and daylight, the brumation is heavily ingrained genetically, so with the topics of beardie topic the answers can vary from dragon to dragon.
What are the signs of Bearded Dragons ready to Brumate?
The bearded dragon brumation signs are given by,
- You are entering the fall of winter months in your area
- The activity level of the bearded dragon is down and refuse to take greens entirely but they eat fewer insects then normally
- At the time of brumation, they will refuse to take the insects entirely
- They will sleep well
- When they are normally get up for the day and they are stop basking
- They spent a lot of time in their hiding and they will cover the entrance with the pile of specks of dirt
- They will spend the days with hiding without coming out from the burrow
If you are seeing any sign of the above sign it is time for the bearded dragon to enter into the brumation
How will you prepare your Bearded Dragons for the Brumation?
- Have them checked for the parasites – This step will be critical and it should not be skipped. Even if your bearded dragons are successfully bromated before you will never ever skip to the vet visit. The most important worry is about the parasites.
- The parasites are the most common in the bearded dragons and checking them as yearly at a minimum. These are one of the easily treatable pests which can be harmful to your bearded dragons in normal times but it can be deadly during the brumation period.
- As a result of metabolism slowed your bearded dragons cannot handle the parasitic infections. For this reason, make sure of your bearded dragons free from the parasite which is prior to the brumation.
- At the stage of the first signs of the brumation, you must schedule a vet appointment and checked for the parasites.
- Stop feeding of your bearded dragons. The next step once you know the bearded dragons are parasites and you will stop the feeding to them you doesn’t want to give any food to your beardie tummy while they are sleeping for the next few months or weeks.
- Make sure they take one last poop. This is some of the encouragement at this point. We are typically step up the warm bath in daily frequency we may also massage the bearded dragon’s abdomen in a downward motion which encourages the last bowel movement. Once the last bowel movement, they are usually going down hot.
- Give them a safe place to sleep. The wild dragons are prey animals because of this keeping themselves in safe and top priority when they are bromating. In the wild, they are typically digging the burrow and cover the opening with the debris this keeps them safe from the primary predator and birds.
- The bearded dragon’s owners will provide the beardies with two hides one is the warm side of the tank and another is the cool side of the tank. The bearded is will choose the cool side of the tank for hiding.
Before brumation of the bearded dragons, you must know how long do bearded dragons sleep.
What to do during the Brumation of Bearded Dragons?
- Seriously don’t panic about the brumation
- Lighting and heat during the brumation
- Bathing and food during the brumation
- Water during the brumation
- It should be made available while your bearded dragons are brumating.
- Interaction during the brumation
These are the things that you are doing during the brumation of bearded dragons.
How long the Bearded Dragons will they are down of the Brumation?
This is the one of the hard questions to answer because of the brumation will be varying from dragon to dragon.
Some of the bearded dragons will be brumate for a few weeks as well as others will take up to four months.
How will you get up from the months-long sleep of the bearded dragons?
- Restart the lights. If you are chosen to turn off the light of the tank now this is the time to get the light on. Even the bearded dragons are not coming out from the hide we will give them a bright and warm into the tank or burrow. This will results in they are coming out from the hide.
- First meals after the brumation. For the first few days and after the brumation your bearded dragons have that much of an appetite. Greens and fruits are the great options of the foods. Make sure they are available once your beardie will become active. The bearded dragons are eating the fruits and greens of the bearded dragons they will eat anything and everything.
- The digestive systems of the bearded dragons are working in the brumation period. It is a good idea is to give the easy food to the digestive. This leads to giving them to the plenty of foods but avoid hard to the digest exoskeletons and crickets.
- Worms are the best solution for these issues. Most specifically the hornworms are recommended. The hornworms are the soft bodied which is easy to digest. The hornworms are also had high moisture content and rich in calcium. This is the ideal first protein source after the brumation of the bearded dragons.
- After a couple of days of worms as the food, you can go back to the normal regimen. One of the most important final tips is that both vitamins and calcium are very important for your bearded dragons.
- Post brumation bathing is the next step. The normal bathing schedule for the two to three times is needed most of the time and the daily baths are required for the first three to five days after coming out from the brumation.
- Bathing is one of the most qualities of your beardie and it is good for their hygiene. The most important thing is the bearded dragons are very thirsty in the first days of after brumation.
The brumation is the normal part of the bearded dragon’s life.